Preparation Time: 20–25 min
Cooking Time: 30-35 min (baking)
Total Time: 50-60 min
Serves: 1 Kg
- 2 softened sticks unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 room temperature eggs
- 3/4 cup warm buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup grated lemon zest (6-8 big lemons)
- 3 cups refined wheat flour
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Auris™ ‘LEMON 24K’ Premium Food Flavour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- LEMON GLAZE
- 3 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- Begin by preheating the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Next, grease and flour the cake pans. Line the insides with a non-stick parchment.
- Add the room temperature butter and 2 cups of granulated sugar in a bowl.
- Use an electric mixer with a paddle attachment to beat the mixture or up to 5 minutes or until the mixture is fluffy and light.
- Set a medium speed on the mixer and slowly add the lemon zest and eggs. Be sure to add the eggs one at a time.
- In a medium bowl, bring together salt, flour, baking soda and baking powder to sift.
- Add 1/4th cup lemon juice, Auris™ ‘LEMON 24K’ Premium Food Flavour, buttermilk in a different bowl.
- Alternately combine the buttermilk and flour mixture with the butter mix. Make sure to start and end by adding the flour mixture.
- Now, divide the mixture equally between the pans and smooth the top.
- Bake in the centre of oven until the cake is springy to the touch (30-35 minutes).
- Combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar with 1/2 cup lemon juice in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Once the cake is done, allow it to cool for 10 minutes.
- Place the cakes on a tray or sheet and pour the lemon syrup over the top.
- Lastly, allow the cakes to cool completely.
For the Glaze:
- Bring sugar and lemon juice together in a bowl.
- Continue to whisk the mixture until smooth.
- Pour the glaze over the top and let it drizzle down the sides.